Tuesday, February 14, 2006

ID Cards

I am a Labour voter. I have always voted Labour, I used to be active in the party, but I do not understand the party anymore.

I can not see what ID cards will do for us. To be of any use they would need to be compulsory. If they were compulsory I still doubt if they would put off any terrorist. The authorities would have to find the terrorist before looking at the ID card. ID cards will be forged, of course they will do not believe anyone saying that they will be forgery proof no such animal exists. People will not always carry them and unless the police prosecute everyone that can not produce one one of the main 'benefits' goes out the window.

In any event they have ID cards in Germany and terrorists still operate out of there, as we all know to our cost.

More than their effectiveness, or lack of. What I object to is the idea of having to have one at all. There seems to be a creeping erosion of civil liberties. As far as I can see the legislation will enable the police to stop people who look suspicious in their eyes (i.e. asian) and if they do not have a card with them detain them. Do not be fooled this will happen. The authorities will not be stopping prosperous looking white males. All that will happen is that the ethnic minorities will feel further isolated and resentful.

The point of terror is to terrorise. To spread discontent and to make your enemies give up that which they hold dear.

And this from a party that I have always supported and expected to uphold my rights. I will continue to vote Labour but this is no longer the party I joined and worked for 30 years ago.

No comments: